Following the message last night from Tim Kidd (UK Chief Commissioner) and tonight from Craig Dewar-Willox (County Commissioner) explaining that all face to face meetings, activities, events and camps must be suspended until further notice we wanted to provide you with some more local updates.
Impact on District Events
- We have taken the decision to postpone the Live Wyre Gang Show 2020 until further notice. We are immensely proud of all the hard work all the young people and adults involved in the show have put in, but unfortunately this decision is essential following national guidance. We are 100% committed to putting on an enjoyable and exciting show this year and Andi and the team we will be updating you as soon as we have alternative dates.
- The upcoming Chief Scouts Bronze & Silver Awards Presentation Evening will be postponed until a later date. It is important to us that the young people in the district are recognised for their achievements and we will look to celebrate with those who have achieved the top awards in Beaver and Cubs at a future date.
- Our annual St. George’s Day celebrations which was due to take place in Pilling this year will be postponed. An event will be arranged later in the year to bring the district back together formally and also celebrate and say thank you to Ian following his fantastic 10 years of service as District Commissioner in Wyre.
- We are currently working to understand the implications of the guidance to the upcoming Wyre District Ireland International trip. Further information will be communicated in due course.
- The Full Leaders Meeting scheduled for the 21st April will take place however we will take the opportunity to utilise technology instead of a face-to-face meeting. Details of how to join this meeting will be sent out in early April.
- All Wyre District Training courses will be postponed until further notice. We will be working with Caroline Dugdale (Local Training Manager) and Joan Swann (County Training Manager) to find alternative ways to provide training provision to the adult volunteers during this period.
Planning Scouting Activities
In Wyre, we feel that it is important to help give young people an element of normality through this period and there is no better way to do that than by Scouting. While it is a change to undertake our Scouting virtually, and not all in one place, it offers us a great chance to do things differently, try some new ideas and innovate.
To aid this, along with the County Team, we will be meeting (virtually) with the District Team in the coming weeks to look at ideas at how we can support you in your roles. This may include some programme ideas and also how we can share good ideas across the district!
As you are aware, the decision was taken to suspend face-to-face activities following the latest advice from Government and in response to constantly evolving challenges. As a Wyre Scouting family, it is important for us to keep an eye on the guidelines being shared nationally but more importantly look after each other where we can.
Ian Porteous & Jon Minshull
District Commissioner & District Commissioner Elect